The Office of Service-Learning (OSL) annually offers Service-Learning Support Grants (sometimes called "mini-grants') intended to directly support activities related to developing, implementing or expanding academic service-learning opportunities for UGA students.
Applicants may request up to $500 for local, state-wide or international service-learning support. Preference is given to projects that directly impact the expansion and support of academic service-learning opportunities for UGA students addressing critical community needs. Faculty members teaching course-based service-learning are strongly encouraged to ensure that the relevant course carries the S suffix.
NOTE: Requests must comply with state funding use; food/meals cannot be part of what is funded.
Successful past requests have included supplies for student outreach projects, travel costs, student background checks, materials for community partner agencies, support for hourly and student workers, and community-based research or outreach activities connected to service-learning projects.
In order to best leverage limited funding, only one grant request per course (regardless of number of faculty/graduate students teaching) may be submitted.
To date, OSL has provided over 150 service-learning grants to faculty, students and K-12 teachers, totaling some $80,000 in support for service-learning activities.
Grant Details: See application PDF below as well.
- Funding requests are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis and awarded based on funding availability.
- All requests should be made using the current year's Service-Learning Support Grants form (see PDF attachment).
- University of Georgia faculty members of all career tracks (full- and part-time), staff, or graduate students are eligible to receive these support grants. Typically only one grant will be awarded per class.
- Recipients must also complete a brief project report form (see PDF guidelines) documenting how funds were spent, and a photo if applicable. 2022-23 reports are due to OSL by May 31, 2023.
- Funding must be spent by the end of the fiscal year and conform to guidelines for the use of state funds. Purchase of food and support for summer salary is prohibited.
- The statement below should be included in any project publicity as appropriate:
"This project is supported by a UGA Office of Service-Learning Support Grant."
Transportation Support Grants
With funding support from a grant from the UGA Parents Leadership Council, the Office of Service-Learning is again able to provide funding to cover transportation costs for off-campus service-learning. See the information and application pages below. Use the Transportation Grants request form for these requests (the regular Service-Learning Support Grants Request Form is not needed).
Katherine Melcher's service-learning course received support funding to purchase plants and tools necessary to implement planting designs created by students for the Future Farmstead at the UGA Tifton campus.