Sources and Resources for Additional Information:
- For more on educational data by school, district, or statewide: Georgia Governor's Office of School Achievement
- For additional reports and research about Hispanics/Latinos in the US on topics including demographics, employment, opinions, education, immigration, politics, and social trends, see the Pew Hispanic Center
- For the most current data on communities, population, and indicators, see the US Census Bureau American FactFinder. (For Athens, search for "Athens-Clarke County Unified Government (balance)")
Possible reflection questions intended for use with this module:
- What did you hear in this presentation that resonated with your experiences so far?
- What did you hear that did not seem to apply to the community or people you’re working with?
- To what extent have you seen this recent growth in Latino populations locally or elsewhere?
- What challenges exist when a new population like this moves in to a part of the country that has not had that demographic previously? What possible benefits are there as well?
- Take a look at the module on Latino Culture and Cultural Values. In what ways do you see an interplay between cultural values and the data presented here?
If using the module BEFORE the service-learning experience:
- In what ways did the information from this presentation confirm, or challenge, your expectations or beliefs about the Latino community?
- How might you apply the information from this presentation to your service activity?
- What do you still want to know in order to be prepared for this experience?
If using the module DURING/AFTER the service-learning experience:
- In what way(s) is the Latino population you are working with representative of the national or statewide statistical portrait? (age, origin, socioeconomic status, educational attainment, etc.)
- In what ways is it different?
- Given the large and growing number of Latino youth nationally and locally, what implications does this have for opportunities and challenges in the field you are working in?
- How might you apply the information from this presentation, as well as your experiences in your service activity, to your future studies, engagement with community, and/or personal development?
- What are you still wondering about that relates to this presentation’s topics and/or your experiences? How might you find more information to help answer your questions?
Modules Supporting Latino Service-Learning